A sideways glance into the mind of filsmyth (previously Phil Smith), author of Virtual Dreamer.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

2Nite

_____


Tonight I'd like to be inspired to write something ground-shaking, or to text-conference with friends I've made online. These things are not happening.

No, I'm just sitting here listening to surf music, from my own files and from MySpace, as my buzz increases...

Here is the image currently on my desktop:

Image:Mountaintop Removal.jpg

I keep looking at it... Horrified as I am by the process -- and political conditions -- that allowed this space to be created, I'd like to be the person in charge of what happens to it next.

In the center is a prime spot for a flying saucer landing pad. Elsewhere there is plenty of room for a fully functional and self-sustaining 'intentional community'...


Just imagine, if you will, life in such a community. Though the landscape was altered by coal mining, all your electricity is provided by solar panels and windmills. Greenhouses provide much of your food, while many other needs are met through on-site production facilities. You know your neighbours, and are friends with them. You work side-by-side with them, producing the things your community needs and those things that will be traded with other communities.

Utopia? Yes, that is what this image helps me imagine. I'm one lottery win away from beginning to make it happen...



Phil Smith
May 10, 2008


_____

No comments:

Followers