A sideways glance into the mind of filsmyth (previously Phil Smith), author of Virtual Dreamer.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Phil of the Future


Am I a 22nd Century man?

(For those of you blissfully unaware of cable television, there is a show on the Disney Channel with the same title as this post...)

Anyway yes, I do expect to live until the year 2114, so I will be a 22nd Century Man -- or if you entertain the idea that time is only linear from our current, limited perspective, maybe I already am.

Does this qualify me to perhaps be in some sort of contact with my future self, in order to lay down a few foolproof predictions? In a word, no. My writings on the future are merely based on my personal impressions of how things will go, extrapolations from the information I have at the moment...


While I find it quite annoying that people began to discuss the 2008 election even before November 2004 and have barely taken a break since, I can't help thinking about it myself. Never mind that I've never voted and don't plan to -- unless they bring up a vote to dissolve the Federal government. Looking at the candidates, and having gotten a better feel for the pulse of the American people, I have a prediction.

A prediction, I might add, that I made in November 2004; During an instant messaging session, or in an e-mail, can't remember which (nor to whom I was typing), I said, "looking forward to the Giuliani Presidency"...

It's not that I'll think he'll do the best job, or that I like him better than all the other candidates, but simply that I think he has the best chance of getting elected. It seemed inevitable 2 1/2 years ago.

I look for John Edwards to either win the Democratic primary or repeat his role as Dem VP candidate. As for Giuliani's running mate, I won't venture a guess at this point...

...But you know what I'd like to see? I think it would be only fair if the 'first loser' in the race got to be VP. Second place, second-in-command makes sense, yes? And then maybe the Prez and VP should take turns making Cabinet appointments, like team captains in dodgeball...


Next elections after 2008 will be in 2012, and since "the end of the world as we know it" is scheduled for the Winter Solstice (December 21st) 2012, it might not matter. Our next President -- or at least whomever holds office at that time -- will be the one to deal with it all. Perhaps Giuliani will gain reelection...


My thoughts on the future are many and varied. The above represents but a single aspect. If anyone out there has a question for me about the future, please leave it as a comment on this blog. If so inspired, I'll answer as a subject of the next post here...


Yours in time,


Phil Smith
May 17, 2007


PS Today is the 37th anniversary of the day Jim Cadle first flew the Flag of Earth...

http://www.setileague.org/general/whatflag.htm



_____

2 comments:

Kai said...

Alright "Phil of the future", I've got one for you...

In a meditation moment (Coincidentally, a meditation moment in which I was focused on being in touch with my future self) two phrases popped into my mind....

1. the will of the people

and

2. Halfway to home

I'd like you to get your future self to find out from my future self what the h** this message means.. because although I understand the phrases on a lot of levels, I didn't get the lightbulb over the head "aha" moment....

The phrases were all fine and well, but I need the blueprint for how I'm supposed to use them...I want a freakin' users manual!!

...A 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' of sorts...

yeah, yeah, I know the answer is 42, but I don't carry a towel with me everywhere I go, do you? (Hey, that rhymes haha)

Besides, if the answer is a number, I think it's 11 (which by the way, also has a connection with 'Friday' and 'Left'..Don't ask for my logic on that, it's just a feeling I've always had.)

Dakini said...

You know I really don't care for politics any longer. Or at least I didn't until Gore didn't make it. So I have new hopes for the next president to be. You more than likely already know who it is that I'd like to see make it.

Followers