A sideways glance into the mind of filsmyth (previously Phil Smith), author of Virtual Dreamer.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Slacker Looks at 40






Faded Memory:
Me at 23 or 24, looking toward the future.





Procrastinator? That's what I used to call myself; The public school system labelled me an "underachiever", which must be a "politically correct" term for SLACKER.

I meant to write this post before I turned 40 -- I'm about 3 months behind, so there you go. SLACKER.


What did I think my life would be like at 40? Didn't think about it, didn't set any goals. So I sit here in my Hawaiian shirt with a week's worth of stubble, idly musing -- and generally happy.

They say stress is a factor in male pattern baldness. My already-high hairline has receded a bit, and I can tell things are getting a bit thin up there, but I've hung on to much more of it than any of my brothers had when each of them were my age. I've got some grey, but who cares?

From my last post, you can see what I've been up to. I've also got a spoon in front of me that I began carving about a year ago. Now that it's Spring (I carve outside) I'll be getting back to that -- when I feel like it.

Stress is bullshit. I don't give in to it. That ends up pissing a lot of people off...

SLACKER.

A century from now, expect my autobiography: A Slacker Looks at 140. Margaritas will be served at the launch party.



Phil Smith
March 30, Twenty-Oh-Seven
(despite what the timestamp might say)
_____

No comments:

Followers